Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Adios México


Today I concluded my trip to Mexico with a visit to a maternal health clinic that focuses on pregnancies with no-to-low complications and, through coaching and education, tries to help lower Mexico's enormous rate of cesarean procedures (almost half of all children here are delivered via c-section). I also visited a government agency that helps repatriate Mexicans who are deported from the United States. They have a dozen offices at the border, and one at the airport in Mexico City where every Tuesday and Thursday at 11:00 am a plane arrives with 135 deportees. It's always 135, the maximum number the plane can transport.  The authorities expect two additional weekly flights will be added.

My 18 days here were well spent. I return to the United States with a much deeper appreciation of a nation that is and will continue to be an important partner for our future in America.  I have new colleagues with whom I can collaborate on ways and means to serve the immigrant population.  And I feel even more deeply embedded in a community of people who are committed to providing the best possible healthcare to all human beings, regardless of their circumstances.  

I cannot begin to say how happy I am to be even a tiny part of this effort on behalf of others.  It gives my life tremendous meaning, great joy, and - I hope - serves as an exemplar for my daughter on what it means to be fully alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment