Thursday, May 14, 2015

Adios Germany


I bid a fond fair well to Germany, where at every stop I was received with remarkable hospitality and friendship.  I also appreciated the frankness with which my many interviewees spoke about the strengths and weaknesses of their country's healthcare system, especially when it comes to the sensitive and sometimes controversial aspects of access for refugees and the undocumented.

Without doubt, the highlights of my trip were the conversations and conviviality with my German counterparts from Eisenhower Fellowships.  Their warmth towards me and my wife made us feel like we were long absent friends.  Our discussions were vibrant and, many times, quite personal.  I learned a great deal, and was humbled by how these exceptional people took me in as one of their own. I will never forget it.

Now back to the U.S.  Over the next weeks I will be posting every Monday about my trip to Germany as I process the information I received and try to connect it with our reality in America.  Then, as I draw closer to the second half of my travels, I will discuss my preparation for visiting Mexico. 

No comments:

Post a Comment